What is diabetes counselling?
It’s a combination of support, education, practical advice and talk-therapy all focusing on successful self-management of diabetes. Nothing related to diabetes is off limits.
Some of what I do:
- provide a safe, non-judgmental place to talk freely about diabetes and the challenges it brings
- offer support, encouragement and practical advice
- help clients find the right health care professionals and resources they need to become good self-managers of their diabetes
- help clients learn how to best interact with their health care team
- help clients learn all they need to know and do to become good self-managers
- help clients develop strategies toward overcoming the obstacles preventing good self-care
I work with clients to determine what is getting in the way of good self-care. Together we develop strategies to overcome the obstacles and get back on track. It’s not easy, but with help and support it is possible.